View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
diego

Default Difficulty option or not?

Remember this? Following this comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Maybe adventure games should offer multiple difficulty settings?
i was wondering what everyone thinks of this somewhat forgotten option?

I gotta admit i've never been really a big fan of difficulty modes (not only in adventure games), as i've always felt like i'm missing something either way, but that's really more noticeably lately with games that include in-game hints. For example, Kaptain Brawe had two difficulty levels, but in reality, both modes had their cons/pros, like in easier mode you have diary with hints which can be useful even for experienced player who decided to go with harder mode when he's left without any hints.

Also, if you've read this article where Dave Grossman talks about his mother-in-law and adventure games, then it's easy to understand how game designers today, much more than before, need to think about difficulty in their games if their aim is to reach wider audience, simply because much more people and age groups use computer and play games today. But i see a paradox here also, since it would be more convenient that there is much more use of difficulty levels today, since it's a neat way to please both newcomers and veterans. I can see Book of Unwritten Tales 2 has adopted difficulty settings, and we can also find it in couple of other newer titles.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing that games sporadically include this option, if this means we'll REALLY get HARD/EASY gameplay, instead of one difficulty level where game designers tried to make compromises.