View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 02:13 AM   #215
Pyke

Hey guys,

Appologies for taking so long to reply here. I have been recovering from surgery for the past few days.

First I wanna say thanks so much for all the support you guys have shown, esspecially in not only taking the time to view the videos and look at the screenshots, but also in writing up your opinions on whats been shown. Keeping momentum and keeping inspired is a major issue for many indie developers, esspecially those like me who only have our (limited) spare time to work on a project.

Jabod,

I have made the text slightly larger, and got rid of its transparency. You arent the first person to comment on it! I suppose its a fine line to tread between trying to keep the interface unobtrusive, and making things difficult to read!
I have also added in character portraits for dialog, and kept those in a locked off part of the screen (top right), so it should make the abililty to 'take in' the dialog a lot better.

For the descriptions, Im really trying to get a feel of old school 'pen and paper' RPG's, and text based Adventure Games, where descriptions were verbose and described more than just what an object was, but almost had a 'story' like feel to them. Its amazing how just adding a few words to describe a scene completely changes the feel of a place!

Download away! I have directories full of gameplay videos from other games...its a wierd sensation to think someone has one of my videos on their harddrive. Consider me humbled.

Im putting you down for a preorder!

inm8#2, thanks man. Im making a game I'd love to play, and for me atmosphere and immersion is EXTREMELY important in any game-so im glad that Im hitting the right marks!

RockNFknRoll, Ah-The constan battle of puzzles in Adventure Games! Its a really difficult one to get right, because everybody finds different things challenging. The way Im approaching puzzle design is in a 'environment determins the challenges' way. What I mean is that im coming up with logical obstacles, and then using the environment to determine the solutions, instead of going the way of 'I have an awesome puzzle...now how to fit it in the game...?'.
This way, the puzzle solutions are logical, but perhaps use a bit of creative thinking to get them to work.
Again, im making a game that I would love to play-so the solutions are things that I find 'cool'. I can only hope that my tastes line up with the players!

Regarding the music, I promise you that im not offended (*goes off into a dark room and cuts himself*....i kid. ). The music is the aspect of production that I have the least experience with (Ive been an artist for my entire life...I bought a midi keyboard about 2 months ago!), so i have no doubt that it is the weakest. With the game in its current state, it would be premature of me to start getting in professional music, as honestly im a tempremantal artist, and chop and change things often to make sure the 'flow' is correct.

Im really stil playing around with certain things musically, specifically how to treat certain thematic themes in the story. I have areas of the game that deal with things like family, loss, redemption-and very much like a film has cues for different emotions, I want to work those into the game. The biggest issue is really a technical one, in trying to figure out WHERE those themes will need to come into play, and how the make sure that they make sense in the context of the scene. I dont just want them to appear in cutscenes-but rather have those cues actually swell up AS you play the game.

Thanks very much for the offer tho-if I need some help there I will definately give you a shout!

----------

-Chris