View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 05:19 AM   #32
Kurufinwe

I've just installed the game and played a bit. I hadn't player Overseer in years, and it's great to be back with Tex.

The interface feels pretty awful, but after tweaking the keyboard bindings (using W/S for forward/back, Q/A for look up/look down and E/D for up/down), it's playable. The mixture of live actors (and a few real props) and low-tech 3D backgrounds makes the videos look horrible, but I'll live with it --- and the acting is definitely good, most of the time.

There are a few little (or not so little) changes compared to Mean Streets:

1) More women! Detective Steve Clements became Eve Clements, just as scientists Ron Morgan and (later on) Cal Davis turns into Rona Morgan and Val Davis. In Mean Streets, women only appeared if they were somebody's wife/girlfriend/mistress. In Overseer, they can have careers of their own. Welcome to the future!

2) Sylvia is completely different. In Mean Streets (and the flashbacks in Under a Killing Moon), she was some sort of valley girl. Here, they went with the type of femme fatale you expect to find in noir stories, which I think is much more interesting. Rebecca Broussard is fine in the role --- but every time she's on screen, the two main thoughts in my mind are (1) "Is that a wig?" and (2) "Eww, that dress!"

3) In Mean Streets, one of the ways to get information was from an informant. This involved long haggling sessions, and a shooting minigame to get more cash. Now, you just phone the database thing and get all you need by fax, which is much more convenient. (Yes, in 2037, mankind will have gone back to fax machines. Welcome to the future!)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 09-25-2011 at 06:26 AM.