View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 04:38 AM   #22
diego

Ok, maybe it's not the default, but there are examples: both Monkey Island special editions utilised hints as the new feature, last in the Runaway series included hint section, Black Mirror 2 and 3 featured diary as hints, Telltale games... i'm not saying game is any less better if it doesn't include it, because it really all depends on game design and if individual player can control him/herself and resist overusing it, but as i said i'd rather have good-implemented in-game hints than resort to outside walkthrough.

Yeap, you're right, skipping puzzles are even more rare, unless we're talking casual games, and to tell you the truth i'd like it to stay that way because "hot-spot highlight" is already making games easier. However, again it all boils down to player and how he/she's using all that help. I mean, Black Mirror 2 featured "lever for skipping puzzles" but i was never giving a thought of using it, but hints really helped me because they're in grades, like UHS hints and you can have an idea about solution without spoiling it too much. Keepsake done the same thing, with three levels of help until you can completely skip the puzzle.

Last edited by diego; 09-23-2011 at 05:18 AM.