View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #1566
Lucien21
Psychonaut

Deus Ex : Human Revolution

The Deus Ex series was a classic, or at least the first one was, open world RPG which gave you nano-augmentations to allow you to tailor the way you play the game.

Human Revolution is set 25 years before the first game, human augmentation is just starting out and is a huge topic of controversy.

You are Adam Jensen a security expert for Sarif Industries, a corporation on the forefront of this new tech. After an attack on the company headquarters leaves him close to death they do a six million dollar man and rebuild him with all the latest bio-augementation.

It now up to you to track down the people involved. Sneak around, hack everything in sight, or just go in guns blazing.

Gameplay

The world of Human Revolution is smaller and more contained than the original game. Each city you visit is centred around a hub world with various sub areas or dungeons branching off it. You can walk around freely in the hub world, climbing ladders or hacking into locks etc. Once you enter a restricted zone then you have to sneak around or start shooting.

Depending on the way you upgrade yourself, various routes will be closed to you. Can you walk through poison gas, lift heavy objects, fall from any height etc etc. This will determine how you get around the world. Unfortunately the various routes can be sometimes be a bit obvious breaking the immersion in the game.

The main quest sends you to most of the areas, but the small number of side missions allow for further exploration to gain more XP points towards upgrades.

Verdict

For the most part I played the game, sneaking around and hacking, avoiding contact with the enemies at all cost and knocking them out rather than killing them.

Unfortunately there are a bunch of boss battles that require you to actually shoot and kill someone. The change in game play is a bit abrupt meaning the first time you come across the bosses it can be a bit tough if you are not properly augmented.

Personally I didn't have a problem with the bosses as luckily I had put in a certain augment that made the bosses pretty easy and always kept a large gun in my inventory just for the boss battles.

If you spend the time to read all the emails and ebooks etc the universe is fleshed out in a convincing manner.

Loved the story, the sneaking mechanics and the atmosphere in the game.

8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK4k_Ieh8Wg