View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #38
Matt Berkeley

Quote:
is some well made but silly comedy better than a quality drama like Schindler's List?
Yes. If it is.

Just because some "convention" says that "Schindler's List" is "quality" that does not make it so...

(And, by the way, for me, in particular, "SL" wasn't anything special at all. I felt it held back way too much -- the vulgarity and perversity of Nazism was quite watered-down. Typical of what Spielberg is capable of because he is not really a very serious film-maker he is a blockbuster-movie-maker. He may dabble in serious matters but only to lend himself a false veneer.)

Anyway, yes. Many would acknowledge that Monty Python, for instance, are possibly the Kings Of Sillydom (and many other brilliances) and their "...Holy Grail" (on a shoe-string budget) movie is better than SL. Yes, without qualification. Without a nod to the "quality" of SL.

Again, for me, the "quality" most important --especially in art -- is not what some bourgeois or petty-bourgeois pronouncement says it is -- the quality most important is subjective impact.

I don't watch, play or read much of anything twice on purpose. But I will watch "Caddyshack" if I catch it flying by and I'd be happy to read the "Dune" series again if it was presented at a group-read; not so with "Schlinder's List".