Thread: Recent Splurges
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #865
Intense Degree
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
EDIT: By way of an experiment, I just loaded the old "Witch Hunt" sample score (which was in an early version of Sibelius, but isn't bundled anymore), and loaded in the sounds. With a defragmented HDD, from clicking play to playback took just over 8 minutes (though this is a fairly large score [full symphonic orchestra], it can start loading sounds in the background rather than having to wait for you to click play [I believe], and playback was obviously very quick thereafter.)
Ha! I know Witch Hunt from Sib 4, which is what I upgraded to 6 from, but 8 minutes to load sounds is frankly incredible. I had the Garriton Personal Orchestra set for Sib 4 and that would sometimes take a while, but no more than 1:30 I would guess tops.

The sibelius sounds on 6 are leagues better than the previous ones but it sounds like they've been improved for 7 if they're weighing in at 30+GB.

Other than that 6 seems to cover the bases for me, the lyrics and text stuff generally is much better than 4 anyway. I might look into the ribbon interface thing, but I will probably wait to see what 8 brings as 6 works fine for me at the moment.

Sibelius is the reason that I refused to but a laptop without a numberpad built in! After getting used to entering notes via keyboard/numberpad i've got to admit it's a great way to do it.