View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Dara100

While I can understand why you think you want transcripts you will find them very disappointing. They are as dry as toast and have not got the charm of playing the original games. If all you are shown is the command "GO NORTH" followed by something happening you will have completely missed the fun of, for instance, (and probably completely made up by me although I remember similar dialog from the tons of text games I played back in the day), typing "N" and getting the rejoinder "No", then typing "Go North" and getting "No. There's a Grue". After typing the command several more times and being denied you get the rejoinder "Persistent, aren't you?" and when you are totally frustrated and type "GO NORTH" in all caps, the game says "Oh, alright, but you'll be sorry!".

The best "lines" are often reserved for bone-headed things you try in desperation. You see there is no "there" in these games. While visuals could suffice in later games, the fun in text games, as in much of life, is in getting there.

Of course, some text games played it totally straight, which were not as much fun in my view. My suggestion would be to try a good one. I'd start with "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

Last edited by Dara100; 08-18-2011 at 01:04 PM.