Thread: Trauma
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 05:28 AM   #16
Ascovel
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Sorry, I thought you were still suspicious of my earlier question. Here's the proper answer:

When I saw the first trailers I was very impressed by the way it combines static images into 3D spatial compositions. It's even better to experience this on your own inside the game - especially in the dream with the ghost the "spatial" effect was very interesting (and very well used with the "going in circles" theme). Combined with the drawing-with-light interface and the places which were chosen for the nighttime photos, it does have that dreamy feel of an urban place recreated from memory, but desolate and modified by imagination. That aspect reminds me somewhat of Inception.

I don't remember having been in a similar situation as the heroine, but the way she alternates between conversations with the doctor and dreams, and the half-dreamy logic of her conclusions within the dreams feels oddly familiar and believable (even if many of these conclusions are cliched generalizations like you say).

The way the character feels removed from her life before the accident and somewhat indifferent towards it, doesn't make me think of what is typically associated with depression (having problems functioning among other people), but rather the quite natural result of drastic change in daily life and slowing it down to the max. I liked that. I wouldn't enjoy the game's atmosphere near as much, if it was simple about a person's coming-of-age and the period of having doubts what to do with themselves. Instead the story felt to me more about the static nature of life in the hospital, under the influence of medication, and the way it changes perspective of looking at the past and the future.

The low points? Well, it's obviously a very short experience. The process of preparing the graphics was apparently incredibly tedious and slow, which means it probably will remain a one time experiment. The casual nature of the "puzzles" is also normally not my thing.

So these are my own impressions about the game.

Last edited by Ascovel; 08-12-2011 at 11:14 AM.