View Single Post
Old 08-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
There were many nice hybrids, but for some reason people still prefer pure action or pure adventure.
I agree, but if majority of people want their games cleaned-up from genre mixing, then it's a market thing and we can't really blame developers for not giving us more of hybrid titles. But i wouldn't say there is no place for a "middle-ground" - although the biggest production in this aspect goes for RPG titles like The Witcher that are by "default" mix of action and adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
What about Another World, Alone in the Dark, Ecstatica, Outcry, Shenmue, Redguard, Omikron, Realms of the Haunting, Anachronox, Bioforge, Call of Cthulhu?..
But when you look at it, almost all of those games were well-received and critically praised. Even King's Quest 8 sold well. But, adventure genre as sort of a niche market in last decade wasn't really a great place for experimenting and genre mixing. And just as i wouldn't mind diversity, i don't think p&c or traditional adventure gameplay is outdated or something - what is "Call of Duty" if not an identical FPS game mechanics 20+ years old?