View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Trunkyo
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Cool! As a li'l demon growing up in Canada, I collected and enjoyed both Choose Your Own Adventure and Fighting Fantasy books! (Outside of the UK, the FF books were sold in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.)

I still have the original FF books stashed away with the hand-drawn maps I made. I remember how bloody difficult they were when they were first released nearly 30 years ago (yes, I am that old! )

Nice to see there are Kindle versions, I'll have to check them out when they become available here. Yes, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain was definitely a no-brainer for conversion, as it was the title that started it all. (If I remember correctly, adding the values of the right numbered keys together would direct the reader/player to the corresponding numbered reference. For each incorrect key used to open the warlock's treasure chest, the same number of poisoned darts would shoot out and injure the player. Ouch. )

The other two titles are interesting choices, though. Citadel of Chaos (book #2 in the original FF series) was quite hard and not as popular as WoFM and Deathtrap Dungeon (book #6) was immensely popular despite being extremely difficult (Lots of hideous monsters and fiendish traps, I'll never forget the "unfair" but necessary plot twist. ) This book spawned two sequels; the first sequel was about a new Trial of Champions contest. Because someone finally succeeded in getting through the dungeon, the Baron completely redesigned it with even more insane traps, puzzles and monsters.