View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 02:20 AM   #280
Fien
Senior *female* member

And here is my summary. Late, I know...

I’m with Zobraks for the most part. I enjoyed the parody of the puzzles and non-puzzles (e.g. door code, password). The graphics were great for ‘97 and are still okay. Gary’s voice was fine and politically incorrect Lao made me smile every time; the others were flat, although Lucy looked like she had a lot of fun pretending to be an actress.

Things I liked best: Gagboy (with some reservations), the protective penguin, the intro with the FPS parody, the two doormats, dancing boobs, rising Myst ship, peeping through the telescope, chicken/duck, bungee jumping, security camera with Boogie and Woogie, Gary’s talking head in the guillotine, windable shark. Plus the nice animated white-on-black drawings.

Things I didn’t care for: The sewer and the rats were a pain. The developers are not good with verbal humor, which becomes even more apparent during a replay. Gary doesn’t have much to say, does he? Compared to other funny adventures I love (Zork GI, Starship Titanic, Space Bar, DoTT etc.) the GAG humor is immensely crude. Gill Bates, Doors ‘97, EvilNet and what’s with all the German talk and the obsession with flying. That and some childish jokes, like fucking flies and farting crocs are the weakest parts of the game for me.

It was fun to play GAG again with other people. Secretly I hope there will be more community playthroughs with less well-known games. Nothing wrong with BS, TLJ, GK, but it’s a great opportunity to explore free adventures, like Drascula, Lure of the Temptress and other games I haven't played.