View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #35
Phaid

I've just finished the game literally a few minutes ago, so I'd like to echo some opinions that have been voiced here.

First, the good things/things I liked:

- fantastic, gloomy atmosphere - a return to the first game in the series in this aspect
- excellent backgrounds and weather effects - walking through the woods during the lighting storm was an amazing experience
- very solid first two chapters, I loved the creepy finale of the first one
Spoiler:
(the hell hounds, the white lady, the abandoned shack - it all raised questions and made me interested in what's about to happen)

Things that I dislike:

- the game is brilliantly atmospheric, but the potential is wasted, because in this game, barely anything actually happens. Explanation below.

- after the first two chapters, the story development really comes to a halt until the end
Spoiler:
when Adrian wants to commit suicide.

No surprises. No plot twists. No murders (BM2 managed to make the deaths of certain characters a surprise, they had an impact on the player and the story). No gore. Uninteresting NPCs that play no role, appear and disappear for no reason. The whole
Spoiler:
Phil/Tom criminal duo
serves no actual purpose.
Nice, awesomely creepy scenes like
Spoiler:
visiting Ralph's hut towards the end of the game for the last time and then hearing him roaming the woods (during the thunderstorm)
are few and far between.
Nothing keeps you guessing, there's no secret to discover, nothing makes you care about the story, the creepy environments aren't supported by plot events.

I liked the game as a whole, but the lack of an engaging story really drags the whole experience down.