Thread: Alpha Polaris
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #96
ZeframCochrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by odnorf View Post
Since I'm really interested in adventure engines can you please name an available to the public 2D/2.5D engine that can do that (with the exception of lost horizon home-made engine that is, to my knowledge, not available to third party developers).
I can name no such engines. Hence, I'm not saying Wintermute's criticism is deserved. But, de facto, the issue has been discussed, not necessarily as criticism.

That said, notice how my confusion derives not from the game engine's alleged shortcomings (which would be understandable, considering the engine is freely available to game developers), but from the fact that game developers who do choose to take advantage of Wintermute don't implement what would seem to me a trivial process, which would not involve changing the game engine at all.

As I've discussed previously in this thread, this is not meant directly as a criticism towards the developers of Alpha Polaris. It's a broad discussion, I remember thinking the same thing when I played The Lost Crown.