View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 02:32 AM   #40
Jannik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I can see sequels to those games selling fine, as they're both established (potential) franchises now. I just don't see a lot of other publishers jumping on the mega-budget adventure(ish) bandwagon, because to emulate Rockstar's/Sony's success is so costly and difficult to do. I think instead we'll get games like Red Johnson's Chronicles and Jurassic Park, which ride the coattails of those game without the funds or the novelty factor working in their favour.
I think we partly agree - If we don't see (spiritual) sequels to Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire the hole thing will turn out as a niche sub-genre. I don't think the publishers with the big budgets will emulate Rockstar's and Sony's success if we don't see those sequels. But if we do, at least one or two will make a big budget adventure-like game. Because that's how things usually work - big publishers go where the money is And as I suggested, I think the market is more or less ready these days, when it comes to story games with adventure elements.

EDIT: Arh, I keep posting in a hurry, without proofreading, etc: I think most publishers will wait a few months and see if the sequels are successful. Kind of obvious, but you never know if people, and I don't blame them, read a forum post more or less 1-to-1

Last edited by Jannik; 07-05-2011 at 02:54 AM.