View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #38
Ascovel
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
You know, for all the endless arguments over genres that happen in these forums, I don't think I've ever once seen an actual definition of "adventure" that rules out any game we've reviewed. People just like definitively arguing based on their own nebulous, unspecified personal feeling on the matter. We should institute a new rule: if you're going to argue definitions, then state your own first. You'll probably be amazed at how quickly it falls apart.
That's a bit of an extreme statement (or maybe even a provocation ). AdventureGamers' own definition is nebulous and very broad. Don't get me wrong, I think it's exactly why it serves its purpose so well (covering almost anything that anyone possibly could classify as an adventure game), but one can easily formulate a definition specific enough to rule out many games you've reviewed, especially the often discussed titles like Myst or Portal. For the record I consider the former an adventure game, but not the latter.

I once wrote an entire article that explains my own definition, if someone wants to make it "fall apart" or something:

http://www.hardydev.com/2010/03/10/w...dventure-game/

The definition itself is not a pretty one (it's somewhat formal and long), but it gets the job done. And it's definitely even more controversial than the nebulous ones.

Last edited by Ascovel; 07-04-2011 at 03:26 PM.