View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Arwen4CJ

Now, getting back to DosBox on Mac -- okay, so I came across a forum in which someone stated that it's possible to play the KQ game collections on Mac, since Macs also can use DosBox. So I tried that. I downloaded the Mac version of DosBox and installed it. The only problem is that I was confused by the prompts. By searching on a couple forums I finally figured out how to mount the games. However, when I tried to make them run, I received an error message telling me that I didn't have some kind of file. I had copied my files from the XP version of 1-6, plus the original version of 1 from the first collection. I copied the folders directly from XP on this same computer. (Remember that I have XP on VMWare Fusion). I double checked the folder contents for each of the games, comparing the contents in My Computer on XP with the folder that I copied them to in Finder, and it looked like all the files were there. I don't know what the problem was.

(I will come back to a question regarding this in a bit).

So I couldn't get the games to work in DosBox on Mac. Fine. So I did some more googling. Someone else on yet another forum had a different way of getting the games to play in Mac. Instead of using DosBox, they suggested using something called Boxer. I installed that. I couldn't get the games to run right away, but I did some playing around with it. I copied each game folder to Boxer. Then I typed in the word "reveal" and Finder opened, showing the game folder. I found the Sierra.exe and right clicked that. Then I told it to run it in Boxer, and it worked just fine. Because I copied the files right off of Windows, it even copied my saved games so that I could pick up half way through either KQ 5 or 6...whatever game I was on when I started using Boxer.

Then it came time to play KQ 7. I knew that that the XP collection didn't have DOS for 7, so I switched back over to playing it on XP. However, I had just started the game when I remembered that the hard copy of the manual (the one that came with the older KQ collection) stated that KQ 7 could play in DOS. So I then tried copying my KQ 7 folder from the first collection over to Mac, like I did with all the others.

However, it wouldn't play in Boxer because it said that I was missing some file named 999pal or something like that, and it advised me to have the CD in. So I put the CD in and tried it again. The same thing happened. I had no idea what to do, so I gave up and went back to playing it on XP. That's when I eventually encountered the fire cracker problem.

Now....here is my next question -- so I downloaded the patches, and it looks like the games play fine in XP. (I didn't start playing again -- I just checked to make sure that I could play the games.) -- and those patches included DosBox for Windows. (Yes, this meant that I had to install the Windows version of DosBox on XP.)

Question:
Is there any way to get the games to play on the Mac version of DosBox?

Question:
Is there any way to get KQ7 to play on Boxer? The KQ7 version that is patched up -- in either collection?

I don't mind having to play on XP, but it would be better if I could get them to play on Mac.

Oh, and I should mention that the sound doesn't work on

So...in review:
Operating System - Mac OSX Snow Leopard
under this operating system, I have VMWare Fusion running Windows XP

also, I have two Apple IIGS emulators that run off of the Mac OS -- they are Sweet16 2.2.1 and Kegs 0.91 for the Apple IIGS versions of KQ 1-4. My question had to do with the disk images of Apple IIGS files, specifically for those of KQ 1 and KQ 2.

I also have a real Apple IIGS with all of the original disks for the King's Quest games 1-4.

For XP, I have DosBox 0.74win32 -- I now also have the patches for my copies of KQ collections.

For Mac, I have DosBox 0.74 -- I do not have the patches installed on Mac because I didn't know what I needed to do...or if I could get them to run on Mac. Do I just copy the new folders to Mac? Or do I need to do something else? Or is it even possible to play them.

NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics processor.

2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo Processor

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

Still current with what my computer has