View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #10
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
I think there were some well-known Interactive Fiction games like that too, but I forgot which ones. Perhaps A Mind Forever Voyaging, though it was very limited in things you are able to do.
I'm not sure A Mind Forever Voyaging was real-time as such. A lot of the Infocom titles had events that took place over a certain number of moves (i.e. every time you typed something, the clock advanced). The best of this type that I remember is Suspended, in which you are a person in suspended animation whose job is to keep the machines running the planet working properly. Disaster strikes and it is so wide-spread the authorities think you have gone rogue and send a team in to disconnect you. You only have a certain number of moves to divert the team to evidence that you are not at fault. Plus, you only get to do it by giving instructions to your robot support team. (You're in suspended animation remember)

Infocom's Border Zone operated in actual real time though. An on-screen clock constantly ticked away, whether you did anything or not. Slow typists need not apply.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree