View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
michael1123
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
I do remember playing this game as a child, though I don't think I persisted for long for the reason you mentioned - it was very hard and I had no idea what I was meant to be doing. It appeals to me a lot more seeing it now so I might pick it up again for another try.
Yeah, I originally played this around 1992 or so, and put a lot of time into it but never beat it. Then about 5 years ago I got the urge to play it again, and found it held up pretty well. And I was finally able to beat it (probably with occasional help from a walkthrough).

If you're able to look past the graphics and accept the fact that you're going to miss some key events your first time through I think it holds up pretty well.

The key reason it never became frustrating to me is when you miss a key event it's not like you end up getting stuck at a puzzle and don't have the right item, and are just screwed. The way the game is set up the plot will keep advancing even if you just waste away every day doing nothing. So there will still be interesting story changing events happening, and they'll constantly be new things to learn and ask people about. You may not be able to solve the mystery at the end, but it doesn't feel like you've wasted your time.

Frankly I wish more games today were built like this. I just love games set in real time, with characters moving around the world that you can follow and learn new things about. It's really fun for me. And it's kind of amazing that a 1988 game is so much more advanced in that regard than almost all other games today.