View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
pmckean

Default Developing an adventure games for iOS and Android...

Hi there.

I'm a software developer and I'm in the early phases of developing a new point and click adventure game for iOS (iPhone, iPad) and Android devices.

I've been a fan of the genre for almost 30 years and touch-based phones seem to be the perfect platform for a resurgence of this kind of game.

I would just like to canvas a few opinions, if that's OK.

* Do you play adventure games on iOS or Android?
* If so, which ones have you enjoyed most?
* Would you pay $2.99 for an adventure game on your device's application store?

Mine is a mature, period adventure with a horror theme. It's inspired by the work of a famous horror writer and contains dark imagery, lots of dialogue and many puzzles.

A word on compromises; this is self-funded and aimed directly at mobile devices. I have no idea if it will be successful, break even or make a gigantic loss.

So I've taken a few steps to minimise cost:

* It's first person, not third. I love third-person games, but the cost of the animation would be prohibitive.
* No voice acting, other than on the intro. I tend to disable voice acting in games as I find it grates a little. It's rarely that good.

What you DO get is beautiful painted locations, characters and objects - really top notch work, an epic soundtrack and many, many ambient sound effects. Together with the expansive three act plot and lots of dialogue, I think I've made the right choices.

But I'd love to hear what you think. It's still early days, so you could have an effect on how it all turns out.

All opinions welcome!!