View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #35
Hoipolloi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I still am the only one who actually likes Nigel's voice...
NO, YOU'RE NOT!
At least he (J. Boakes) enunciates better than he types... ... or subtitles!

Since I'm not a native English speaker (but a great fan of playing games/watching movies in their original languages - good German voice actors that aren't instantly recognizable are rare...), I'm probably more (or less?) sensitive to those queer accents - I love them! If anyone knows of a good UK/US map with graded samples of brogue, nudge me, please!

So, the guy who hides in the gas station in Barrow Hill got stuck in my mind. Another favorite: Tracer Tong from the original Deus Ex had a penchant for literally babbling me to death while I was trying to sneak up on my enemies. The young heroine from Tunguska also gets favorably mentioned, because she did a very fine job of play-acting(?) a snooty-snotty teenager, which probably ended her career (at minimum, she got replaced by a sheep-herdress in Part II). Character actors have a tough time nowadays.

The best-acted games I know of are Zork Nemesis (small wonder, since they're all professionals) and Deus Ex (more for its quantity than quality, strictly speaking). The worst I played and remember in a major game was probably in No-one Lives Forever, where they got hung up on the same 10k sound byte for the enemies in the fight scenes. The most unheard-of voice acting (disabled on purpose and with a vengeance) is the one in Forsaken (unfortunately, I still haven't found a way to turn the music back on under XP). The most disappointing - in terms of sound quality expectations and reality - was Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers feat. Tim Curry.