View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #49
Word.

I'm personally glad Portal was reviewed here.

I can imagine people feeling a bit weird playing a Sierra game after being weened solely on Infocom games. And I'm sure when Myst was first released, there were people who didn't feel it was an adventure simply because it wasn't a 3rd person game.

I can definitely understand if someone was put off by the need for a controller or mouse + keyboard. But again, I'm sure there were people put off when Sierra moved from a text parser to mouse only games. It's a completely different input method.

In my opinion, even the fear of death in Portal / Portal 2 is far less than in pretty much any game Sierra ever made. I completely agree with Lee in regards to the turrets. I can recall plenty of adventure games where you needed to do some form of "duck out from a shadow at just the right moment to sneak past a guard" or risk death. The turrets serve as nothing more than a big "you're not supposed to waltz through this hallway" sign.

Anyway, I think Portal boils down to being a different control scheme more than anything else. And it's probably a jarring one for some people as the "classic adventure" style hasn't changed all that much with it's current iterations, but other genes have over the years. Drastically.

I may be a bit biased as I've played FPS games with a keyboard and a mouse since Wolfenstein... Then again, I've played adventure games even longer.