View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 AM   #47
Panthera
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I loove the story in Portal one and two. I love to watch my bf play story-heavy games, especially games I don't have the competence to play myself, and Portal 2 has had one of the most engaging and interesting stories I've seen in years.

And as for me, the definition of an adventure game is its focus on story, so I think Portal absolutely does qualify.

I have trouble playing Portal on my own for two reasons, I do not handle scary/fast reaction situations well, I've also watched Farenheit instead of playing it myself and have huge trouble with Heavy rain for the same reasons, and 2, I'm a direction dyslectic, which also translates to difficulty trying to think in 3 dimensions, and figuring out how to throw myself out of portals.
Portal 2 seems like more my type of puzzles, since I solved several of the parts my bf got stuck on, though I have a feeling I'd struggle with the end, which, though forgiving, is rather scary.
I'm also crap at steering with a ps3 controller = me killing my bf in the multiplayer part..

But, I do not think that the fact that it is harder, has a different control mechanism and more "action-like" sequences should disqualify it as an adventure game, since everyone has a different comfort zone when it comes to games. I would, for example, never be able to play through Scratches, that doesn't make it less of an adventure, it is only based on my tolerance level.

It would be rather sad for the future of adventure games if one of the big, known sites for adventure game reviews only reviewed traditional adventure games.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery