View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #42
Oscar
Senior Automaton

I agree with you on the 5-star review, I don't think it deserved such a high score. As for this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
Please don't get me wrong, Portal is a decent game and well liked amongst the gaming community but I do not think it should be discussed under the banner of "Adventuregamers".
Why not?

According to Adventuregamers:

Quote:
Adventure games are all about stories, exploring worlds and solving puzzles.

Adventure games focus on puzzle solving within a narrative framework.
I think we're pretty good so far with Portal.

Then we have this:

Quote:
There are generally few or no action elements.
What I understand as "action elements" is quick movements on the controller to physically dodge, shoot or jump. Most adventure games have timed puzzles, or puzzles where you have to click something quickly. Broken Sword 3 and 4 had a lot of them. Space Quest was notorious for them. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade had real-time boxing matches. And what about Quest For Glory? In comparison Portal isn't that bad. Sometimes you had to think quickly but you always got a chance to sit back and think about it for as long as you wanted, with as many chances as you liked. The puzzles were 95% about using your brain and not about executing difficult maneuvers on the keyboard. Compare with a true action game like Tomb Raider where the puzzles are always about making a difficult jump or outswimming the sharks.