View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 01:47 AM   #164
Pyke

Thanks guys.
Im working on the brightness, and will probably have a setup like you mentioned in the beginning of the game.

FROM THE BLOG:

http://www.stasisgame.com/remote-terminal-interface/

REMOTE TERMINAL INTERFACE
Very productive weekend when it comes to STASIS! While the functionality of the puzzles for the first part of the game has been in place for a while, the rest of the interactivity hasnt been put in.
These are the things that really ‘flesh out’ adventure games for me. Reading what happens when an object is looked at, or interacted with. Things that go beyond the critical path, as well as giving the player clues about what to do next.
I have also added another tool to the captains arsenal of salvaging equipment. In addition to his goggles, which give him different ways of viewing objects, he has access to a REMOTE TERMINAL INTERFACE. What this is, is a portable computer pad which allows Hawking (the captains trusty ship) to interface with any terminal that has an open port.

Scanning a computer terminal will let you know if a port is open, and that Hawking can access it. He will automatically break through any security firewalls in place, and allow you to access terminal commands directly from your RTI.
Using the RTI is the same as any other item. You drag it from your inventory over the computer terminal. This is in going with my need to keep the interface completely clean, and not add in any extra commands that I don’t need to add.

nteracting with the RTI is very simple, and works just like a dialog tree (in fact, its using a modified version of Visionaires dialog engine).
The greyed out background still animates and moves when the RTI is active, which I feel is important in keeping the game ‘flowing’.

………………..
GIVING HAWKING A VOICE
Scanning objects will get you a voice feedback from Hawking, who is interfaced directly with most of the captains equipment. Think JARVIS from Iron Man, only with less sarcasm. Scanning an item will sometimes illicit a response directly from Hawking as to what the object is, or sometimes will cause the captain to ask Hawking a question about the object/area he is scanning.
Interestingly, after much playing around in Audacity, and FL Studio, I finally got to the perfect Hawking voice. Then I played CRYSIS 2 this weekend…and the CRYSIS Suit Voice is strikingly similar! Must be general good taste. The next video will have Hawkings voice, so you guys can judge for yourself. But yeah..its pretty awesome to hear him talk!
-Chris

Last edited by Pyke; 05-03-2011 at 01:58 AM.