View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #1498
terhardp

Black Mirror III

I remember the crude original rather well even though I've played it only once so far back in the year it came out (2003, I think). But it still haunts me: the story, the atmosphere, the locations, the mythology and so on.

The sequel was fun, though nowhere atmospheric and creepy as the original. But it has layed the solid foundation for this part.

Black Mirror III is more similar to the first game than the second one and therefore better (IMO). The gloomy and occasional desolate atmosphere as well as the constant sense of creepiness are back in style. Also, the story itself nicely ties many loose ends from both the cliffhanging sequel as well as from the mythology started in the original game. I'm guessing that most of the "Black Mirror" series fans expected a lot in regards to the answers to the many questions left unanswered in the previous games. I imagine that some of them will be dissapointed, but personally, I'm satisfied with the conclusion to the story.

A few words on the other aspects of the game. Graphic is nicely presented with very good bland between the legacy style from the first "Black Mirror" and the more modern game engine. I am also pretty happy with the music which is mostly atmospheric, but also rather bombastic at times. Sometimes this is somewhat inappropriate, but sometimes it works out nicely. Voice-acting ranges from excelent performances to poor ones. The voice of the main protagonist never appealed to me much and had always felt out of sync with his character. Miss Antolini (an important character) also sounds ridiculous at times. But most of the characters, even the minor ones, are convincingly portrayed.

The puzzles in the game and the gameplay itself is mostly identical to the previous title. The inventory puzzles are mostly self-explainatory, though I was stuck quite a bit at times. There are also several "logic" puzzles that are not very difficult, but well put together, IMO. And finally, like in the original game, there are a few rather frustrating puzzles and some bugs as well.

All in all, with all the flaws of the original game as well as the sequels, "Black Mirror" series probably has enough factors to call it a "cult adventure game". It's certainly one of the most intriguing game series I've played so far, and I will likely put it among my favorite adventurs.

Verdict: 4,2 / 5
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III

Last edited by terhardp; 04-20-2011 at 01:29 PM.