View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #53
Annacat
Myst-loving person

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Why is it that a question is posited, die or not die? And then assume that not die is the only logical answer. And when someone, eg me, says that die is the logical result of a risk/reward proposition, the "pro-life" people get upset because someone disagreed.
The problem isn't that you disagreed. I've enjoyed reading multiple opinions.

The problem is that you said that people who don't agree with you aren't fit to play adventure games, which is frankly pretty unfair.

The reason I clarified what I did about other types of danger and suspense, is that you assumed anyone who doesn't want the player character to die in your words "do[es]n't like playing games where there are risks involved."

Thus I pointed out that there are other things that can be risks - unless the game suffers from a very lazy writer - so people who don't prefer this particular element are not necessarily risk-averse in all ways.

Quote:
Remember the short story? Behind door number one was the beautiful maiden. Behind number two was the tiger. Which to choose? One resulted in eternal bliss. The other in instant death. A very real and very powerful story. Albeit in words on the printed page rather than images in a computer game.

Push rock, die! Pull rock, live and be rewarded.
Have you actually read the story? Because that's reeeeally not what "The Lady, or the Tiger?" is about. The woman knows that one door means sending her lover to his death, while the other means sending him to marry another woman. The man looks to the woman to make the choice. She chooses; the reader is never told which.

Thus the piece is really a study of human nature. Will she sacrifice their relationship to save his life? Or will she choose that if she can't have him, no one can, and allow him to die?

It's an interesting story, but the conflict really isn't as simple as life/death, and neither choice will result in "bliss." Both options are actually pretty bad - death, or losing the person you love forever.