View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #44
Annacat
Myst-loving person

I think it can work, but I think it's something that needs to be used carefully.

Die too often, and it either becomes comedic (which is fine in intentionally funny games, not so much in serious or scary ones) or else becomes a glaring reminder that you're in a game rather than a realistic scenario.

Deaths should make sense. It should be logical that you could die as a result of that action. I dislike when it seems completely arbitrary that the character was killed.

I profoundly dislike it when a game forces you to die at least once the gain the information you need to be successful. That totally destroys the realism for me, because if I was really there, I wouldn't get a second chance with information gained from my own death. I want there to at least be a way I could have gotten it right the first time.

Finally, while I believe in saving frequently, I still want the game to automatically return me to before the death. Sometimes people forget to save, and sometimes it's simply not a reasonable place you could have saved (for example, at the end of a long puzzle sequence) so you have to backtrack. Make it as non-frustrating for the player as possible.

Honestly in the majority of games I'd just as soon not be able to die. If the game chooses to uses the mechanic, though, there are enjoyable and less enjoyable ways to employ it.