View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcd2011 View Post
I'm the same with movies to some extent. When people say they've watched their favourite movie twice, back to back, or over 100 times in their life, i can't understand it. How can you not be bored of it? My favourite movie is Terminator 2 and i think i've watched that 4 or 5 times and that's plenty for the time being.
I hardly ever replay games, but I often re-watch movies. I don't re-read regular books much either (although I might break that trend with the Song of Ice and Fire series shortly), but do re-read graphic novels. I've been wondering why this is so for me. I thought it might be length of time spent - a movie or graphic novel takes 2 hours or less, a game or regular book takes 8-20+. That explanation doesn't hold up though because I will happily re-watch great entire television series such as Sopranos, which can take 50+ hours.

Maybe it's because TV and film have many phenomenal works of art, whereas games are awesome but just are not on that level yet (and this is coming from somebody who believes all games are art). Again though this argument would seemingly fall apart since I don't re-read books, and obviously there are sublime books that deserve re-reading.

In any event - anybody who would watch something like Terminator 2 as an adult 100 times is an idiot. They could have at least watched Sopranos or The Wire during that time, or watched T2 95 times and subbed in The Godfather 1-2, Citizen Kane, The Third Man, and Mulholland Dr. in for the remaining 5 at the very least.