View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #25
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
Having to do such a stealth/shooting or timed sequence again and again and again (since I suck at said elements) is boring imo. I'm glad it's rare in adventure games.
While I can see that those will be involved in death a lot, I think that action sections are a whole separate discussion. I'm fortunate in that I like playing some action games as well, so such things rarely phase me. For those that only play adventure games, I can fully understand why these are frustrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
Many of the Sierra games went a little overboard on the fatal consequences of innocent actions, ...
Ah, yes. Failure to do a walk-round check of your car in the updated Police Quest 1 was just one example. In the original version you simply got a flat tyre when you left (it was still a game over but at least related to the need to check for defects before taking a car out). In the updated version failure to do the check resulted in a high-speed car smashing into the side of you the moment you drove out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
The middle ground is what I want. Or the Monkey Island way (you know "Goodbye cruel adventure game! ... Nah forget it." or the whole Elaine interrupting Guybrush to say that he couldn't have died).
I think MI is the exception. Because the refusal was made in a humourous way appropriate to the overall feel of the game that didn't feel too bad. My problem is that it tells me that I don't have control over the character. If I start to feel I'm just making suggestions rather than controlling the PC then that can ruin a game for me.
Quote:
P.S. On the other hand, I heard there's an interesting death scene (or rather the aforementioned instant replay option) in a Monty Python game...
I believe you're referring to the Vorpal Rabbit scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Fail to destroy the rabbit and it gorily bites all your knights heads off. The game then asks you if you'd like to restart where you died. Say yes and you get to enjoy the rabbit gorily biting all your knights heads off again. Say no and it asks if you'd like to restart BEFORE where you died, thus having a second chance to kill the rabbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Without dying, games can start to get boring. When you can do nothing wrong, you don't really think as much about what you are doing, making the game less serious and hence enjoyable.
I think games can be fun in a lot of ways without death. There are also a lot of ways things can go wrong that don't involve dying. If I slam a door behind me and then realise my keys are the other side of it, I have a problem to solve due to a mistake but I'm not dead.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree