View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #24
larissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
And I was eyeing "Guild Wars" along with "Neverwinter Nights". Is that any good, also?
It's a great game, but it doesn't sound at all like what you want. It's not very dark (well, it's got one dark part in one of the campaigns--NightFall--but the themes are not mature and half the players are young.) It's VERY wide open--there's a main story line but aside from that, it's just a lot of kill stuff/fetch stuff quests. And most of the point of the game is to accumulate stuff/points. Not to knock it--I was (and am) totally addicted to it, but it doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

I'll plug TES games one more time. It's true that Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 are fairly wide open (MW being the most open by far), but all three have pretty defined main quests, and all of the main quests are very, very dark. We're talking flesh-eaters, vampires, irradiated mutant cows, totally insane cultists, etc. etc. And particularly in Oblivion, there are lots of quests that are more puzzle-y than kill-y. You can spend those games dungeon-crawling, but you mostly don't have to unless you want to. And mods let you play the game pretty much any way you'd like.

I'm glad for the reminder about Arcanum and PS:T. The last time I checked these games cost $50 or more . . . glad they're reasonable now.