View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #30
crabapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foinikas View Post
I'd love to ask from the more experienced members and lovers of the first person style,to explain to me how they feel it is superior to the other games,what makes it so nice and which are, according to their opinion the biggest and best differences to other styles.
I wouldn't say one was superior to the other. I think it depends on the game. I don't think I'd want Gabriel Knight or Guybrush Threepwood in 1st person. Nor would Shivers or RHEM work very well in 3rd person. For puzzle-type games I think 1st person is better. For a game with emphasis on story or characters I usually like to see the character, but it isn't always necessary. Tex Murphy and Black Dahlia worked fine in 1st person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
Surely, it's third person games that are static? For any given location there is just a single screen that the character walks across, whereas in first person there is much more of a sense of movement and progression across a landscape as the player move across in in stages.
It's not all that different from first person games with a static screen -- the difference being that with the 3rd person game you have to sit around waiting for the guy to walk/jog across the screen to the thing you want to click on while with the first person game you just click on it.