View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #29
marvio
Old timer - Adv. Addict

3rd person for sure, I have to admit, mostly because of "nostalgia", and just because it's been so ingrained in our minds that AG are 3rd person, but there are real reasons too

When you have anything first person, the only way it really works is if there's a real time rendering engine, as node based first person, one could argue, takes you more out of the game then a 3rd person would.

So then we're talking about real time; Only in the past couple of years real time rendering engines became powerfull enough to match what a beautifully drawn static background, in the case of 3rd person, has been doing for a very long time, and let's face it a company developing an AG probably not going to have the budget to license the latest 3D engine, so more often then not, when you see a first person adventure, it's either node based (puke), or it's using some ancient, and.or, just not very good real time rendering engine. The result are enviroments which don;t come even close to the beautiful backgrounds we're used to see

And this is just as graphics go, there are reasons as far as interface, character interaction, and just how a character moves through the world, why I like 3rd person better

@ jon_whatcher

Was GK3 first person? There had to have been an option for 3rd, no? I don't remember it being a first person game!!?