View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
Serious.Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeframCochrane View Post
Personally, I'm on a 1680x1050 monitor.
But, rather than absolute resolution, shouldn't the problem be limited to which aspect ratio is the most common?

Whichever resolution you pick for the game engine output to be, won't the monitor's firmware scale the game's output to fill itself? In which case, once you pick a resolution, you would've made the game playable with no distortions on any monitor with the same aspect ratio as the resolution you've picked. Once that is sorted, you can include an option to add pillarboxing or letterboxing bars in postprocessing (so your game engine would still be outputting the fixed resolution).
Oh how I'd love that it was this way. I thought about this and started with 1920 x 1200 (16:10) and tried to start the project on my 1680 x 1050 (16:10) system in fullscreen. This totally failed. The screen stayed black. I asked in the forum of the engine and there is definately no solution for this. Sadly...
That's why I have to choose a fix resolution most people can use. For example 1280 x 720. Then I will have bars e.g. but others will be able to play it in fullscreen too. (Those who use a resolution that equals 1280 x 720 or is bigger.)

Last edited by Serious.Ray; 03-16-2011 at 05:27 AM.