View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
rayvio

the difference between an adventure game and a casual game, in my opinion at least, is heavily tied to story. the story adds depth to a game which makes it more than just a series of repetitive actions (be they solving puzzles, shooting things or whatever) and is the big difference maker between a game you pour lots of time into and a game you play for a few minutes now and then to pass the time
maybe I'll be proven wrong but I see putting a story onto a hidden objects game as being about as problematic as putting a story onto a card game, for much the same reasons
firstly the puzzles are essentially the same puzzle over and over, just with different objects. fine for killing a few minutes but not so much for spending hours at a time on
secondly, how do you make the story actually fit? granted some adventure games push suspension of disbelief pretty far but not quite as bad as justifying solving all your problems by finding a half eaten doughnut and a pair of scissors amongst gardening tools, car parts and alien underwear

I have nothing against hidden object games, I just don't see them as being more than a quick time-killer
non-adv: Dragon Age: Origins again and again...
Melody Gloucester Pegasus