View Single Post
Old 03-02-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Ag1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post
All in all I'm reminded that ADV games are and can still be an EXPERIENCE, not just a distraction. Nevermind the crummy graphics (which actually work perfectly) this game is a must play.
Huge spoilers here btw, mostly in the spoiler tags I think

It was like playing an obscure Lucas Arts game i'd somehow never played. Production values were really good, and I liked what they managed to do with such graphics type. As long as you have detail and complexity in the environment then your imagination will make do with it imo (like reading a book).

I played through it in a few sittings, start to finish without getting stuck for long periods and avoided any walkthrough. The story, narrative and splitting the game into 2 stories made it interesting throughout, and the puzzles were fine. Some felt like they were just the right difficulty, at times I felt I might have wanted to get a walkthrough. I am more of a story/atmosphere type of adventure gamer tho, but this was just right for me. Not purely story like Dreamfall but a decent mixture. Enough to keep my interest and for me to want solve the puzzles and progress, without them being frustrating or illogical.

Spoiler:
I got the feeling I might end up using a walkthrough tho with the puzzle with the green / red numbers and towards the end I was walking around for a while until I found the right hotspot on the screen (a ramp)

Story Spoilers!! Don't read this if you haven't played all the way through yet:

Spoiler:

I saw the plot twist with Az being Delta 6 way before it was revealed, around the time we learn that Delta 6's gameplay is 1 year in the past and he ends up not escaping. It made the last part a bit anti climactic, and I thought it was kind of awkward with the Director revealing everything without Azreal making any comment..he's just learned his brother doesn't exist and his memories aren't real but he doesn't really react at all. He just listens to the Director go on, and on.

The actual artwork on the website with Azreal standing next to Delta 6 made me think of some kind of psychological twist to it, with them being the same person (schizophrenia etc). For a sci-fi / Blade Runner (Philip K Dick) inspired game I just thought of that when I saw the image.

I felt it could have done with a bunch more time developing the characters. Especially that guy that turns out to be Baldur. Its like, "oh btw this other guy that we don't really know anything about thats traveling with us is a baddie and now you have to shoot him". Er OK. TBH I feel like the game is too short for the themes and twists that come - it could have done with a fair few more hours to develop the plot and characters more imo.

I liked how the game gave you choices, whether they didn't really affect the game or not it was still a nice touch - it adds to the immersion. I liked how you could zoom out with the map and see the solar system, and the cut scenes and background detail was good

The voice work was fine, except some times like with Baldur obviously being set up as a bad guy when you first meet him with that creepy "i'm a baddie lol" voice

Overall its well worth playing, and the graphics are decent enough for the style of game.