Thread: Gemini Rue Demo
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 01:23 AM   #24
Fien
Senior *female* member

Three posters responding to me... gee, I must have touched a nerve.

After A Brisk Nap:
Quote:
Fien, you are begging the question by assuming that higher resolution would mean better graphics.
People use the word graphics in different ways. By “better graphics” I simply meant more modern = more high-tech. For you, graphics include both technology and art style. Quibbling over words aside (have you read my comment on the AG review?), I agree with most of what you said. Yes, change one of the ingredients and the end result will be different. Yes, my opinion is just an opinion. No, I certainly don’t equate high-tech with “realism”. For instance, a cut scene with real actors can be realistic and very low-tech at the same time.

My point was that I am surprised that the retro-look immediately appeals to so many posters. I wonder if those are the same people whose top ten consists of Sierra and LA games, who find Mystian adventures with their pretty screens and lack of dialogues boring? Like Jelena said, “old-school graphics are associated with quality”. Well, maybe I have played too many adventures because I haven’t forgotten the bad ones. I still play and love old adventures from the 80's and 90's, *in spite of* the low-tech. Take GK1. Great game. When I replayed it two years ago, I found the graphics immensely offputting at first. Annoying even: There was supposed to be a dragon symbol on this clock in granny’s attic which was totally unrecognizable thanks to the low resolution.

I agree with Orient, in many cases the retro-style is a choice born out of necessity. And it isn’t just about the graphics either. The Whispered World is not low-res, but it’s essentially a tribute to the so-called classic adventure, gameplay, interface, puzzles and all. Same goes for the other Daedalic adventures. Come to think of it, their amazing stories might in fact be the most modern ingredient. Since Daedalic is now turning to casuals, I expect that will be the end of their tributes.

As much as I love all those games, I’m getting tired of retro.

Last edited by Fien; 02-28-2011 at 02:09 AM.