Thread: Gemini Rue Demo
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
jasonlblair
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Your post and some comments on the AG review are in fact saying that for many people modern graphics would detract from the experience of playing Gemini Rue. Why? The story, the characters, voiceacting, everything would still be great and have much better graphics to boot. And a less cumbersome interface.
Hm. Not sure I agree with that interpretation of my posts but, that aside, I'll offer this, subjective and completely wrong though it may be:

GEMINI RUE seems to present an antiquated view of the future, the cyberpunk view born in the 80s and continued into the 90s. The graphics match that, aligning both the viewpoint of the era with graphics from that era. Nostalgia? Sure, for some. But possibly more than that, too.

Imagine I were to create an animated film about the Woodstock festival that took place in the Summer of 1969. I could do it in a modern, realistic style--utilizing the tips and tricks of this post-Matrix/post-300 world--and that would tell the story one way. Or I could use prominent pop art styles and technical film limitations from the era which would tell the same story an entirely different way, providing two glimpses into the era, one based in story and one based in design. Is one better than the other? Far too subjective a premise to use as the basis for an argument. Does each have its own strengths and weaknesses? Yes.

Do I think modern graphics would detract from GEMINI RUE's gameplay experience? No, I don't think I do. Do I think the retro-style brings something unique (not to be read as "better") to the table? Yeah, maybe it does.

I'm not declaring one true path, just offering a perspective as to why I think the art style of GEMINI RUE--no matter the reason behind it--was an interesting choice and what it adds to the experience.

Jason L Blair
Writer, Designer
www.JasonLBlair.com