View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #22
Isak
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrLOL View Post
Dave Gilbert has a great post on his blog where he shows different spots in New York that he features in his blackwell games, many of which is simply "I walk past this place every day, thought it would be a good spot for a adventure-game scene",

Also Gabriel Knight 1 was brilliantly based on the real city.

while I'm glad not every game does this (would be boring in long-run) I think it gives those few games that does a great charm, and is somewhat educational as well, so my question is if you got to pick the location for a adventure-game which city would you pick?
And would you pick a certain theme associated with that location? kind of like how GK1 had to do with voodoo which I believe is a theme part of New Orleans history. or maybe a historical event?

----

Ok I'll start:
Stockholm, Sweden.
Probably not the best city at all but I haven't traveled much so I don't know many cities, it has quite alot of history and varied architecture, I'm thinking primarily how the streets gets much smaller as you go into "old town".

I would probably pick Christmast as time as Stockholm can get REALLY snowy sometimes so that would further characterise the location, also streets are beatifully decorated with christmast decoration in Stockholm.

As for theme/story I would go for either:
a) "The stockholm bloodbath", a historical medevial event where the streets were filled with blood, tho perhaps not since it's a very flat story simply a king returned and had many ppl executed, not much depth to it.
b) the recent Annah Lind murder, politician who was stabbed to death by maniac in a cloths-store, he was sentenced as just a mad man, but reading this story I've always thought that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that this madman would pick such a high politician as he doesn't seem to have any strong feelings about her politics (anti-CIA/911) so it feels to me there must be someone behind the scenes who told him to do so,
however seriously tho it would probably be distastefull for anyone to make a fictional take on such a recent murder.
c) "The Stockholm Syndrome", a term used in physcology but most people don't know of it's origins is from a bank-hostage-situation in Stockholm where the hostages sided with the criminals because of a phycological survival mechanism that's been dubbed "stockholm syndrome", playing through that historical event might be a ok game, altho not really adventure-game.
d) perhaps the infamous Olof Palme murder (sweidsh primeminster in like 1980), altho I'm not sure if games should really be based on real events, I think I rather it should be based on a locations folk-lore or rumours or something like that.
Of all the cities in the world, you had to take the one where I live in?

But I agree, Stockholm is an old town, and has a rich history, so you could probably make a decent story about, for example, as you mentioned, the bloodbath.
Or why not at game revolved aroun the events of the death of Gustav III (from Wikipedia):

"A masked ball took place at the Royal Opera House in Stockholm at midnight on 16 March 1792. Gustav had arrived earlier that evening to enjoy a dinner in the company of friends. During dinner, he received an anonymous letter that contained a threat to his life, but, as the king had received numerous threatening letters in the past, he chose to ignore it, and, after dining, left his rooms to take part in the masquerade."

more