View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
mrLOL

Origama:
I see what you're saying, it's easier to make a action-game large like GTA: San Andreas since for example most gun-shops are just the same whereas in adventure-games everything would have to be unique,

but have you played the great city of Amn in Baldur's Gate II?
It's not San Andreas size large but it's a really large and dense city and it's just as detailed as a adventure-game.

Isak:
Yes I think it's safe to say that it wouldn't be click and play, but atleast IMO that's never what defines why I like adventure-game anyway, I love the freedom in GTA to walk around with my own controller and jump into a car and cruise around to my destination, I think that would be great in a adventure-game.

"However, would a "GTA" game without any action moments and with puzzle design be an adventure game?"
Well I don't care so much if other ppl would define it as a adventure-game, as long as it's any game that has the element that we love so much from adventure-games.

What that element is is actually quite difficult to define, IMO I would probably say that for me adventure-games is about a game where the progression is linked to my full understanding of a story (which is probably why I like detective-games so much and dislike Monkey island type games) so rather than the story being exposition or being a optional Bioshock-style "learn the backstory if you wish or skip it" it's something that the challenge of the game is about (as opposed to the challenge being good aim or reflexes).
So to me if a game has that element then I don't care if other people define it as adventure-game or not.

Yes La Noir is my insperation for this thread
but a) I don't think they've revealed truely how it will work and b) my mind is set strongly at "seems awesome but will dissapoint me as usual"
I know they say there will be investigation but I just want to see it with my own eyes first.

jhetfield:
I'm not sure I see what you're saying but basically I think the main investigation could be non-branchable so I don't think it needs to be alternatives to the main plot, in fact in any open-world game the main plot should be of less importance:
in GTA you can pick up a controller and just explore the world and find a cool building and go in there to see what's in there while letting the plot be paused for a while,
in BG2 my favorite moments was doing random tasks and joining guilds and such which had nothing to do with the plot other than "you need X money to get to next stage of plot".

Last edited by mrLOL; 02-15-2011 at 09:15 PM.