View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 05:21 AM   #326
diego

well, as this article on Hidden Object games which i recommend says:

"Trends do pass, but we’re only at the beginning of this one, and even when it finally subsides, I suspect the genre won’t ever be the same. Not dead… but not the same."

So, if we're talking about merging of casual and traditional adventure games, then we're speaking also of merging the two markets, which means developers and publishers will try to please the both groups. That leads us to "easier" difficulty of course, when comparing it to the classics. About Jane Jensen, she actually did some casual games before the Gray Matter so it should not come as surprise. And you really can't blame her or publishers for their desire for their product to reach wider audience.

I see "heroes" of adventure gaming in these "troubled times" in everyone who tries to keep the spark of golden adventure gaming in a way. Puzzles, creative puzzles are one of the things that lack the most today. Going blindly into the "Heavy Rain" territory seems like the "easy way" today for developers and publishers. It seems like it's easier to come up with the story than rich gameplay and puzzles. Another proof of that is that we see less and less Myst-like and traditional puzzle oriented games.

On the other hand, "casual invasion" certainly shaked the mainstream gaming and accented the non-action gameplay in the tradition of adventure games. As for me, success of casual games is just another proof of how "immortal" basic adventure game elements are, or interactive storytelling. I'll quote Roberta Williams from this interview:

"I believe that the 'true' adventure game genre will never die any more than any type of storytelling would ever die. Sometimes, I think that something 'new' may come along for awhile and take away attention from longer, story-oriented genres, like movies took attention away from books for awhile, and TV took attention away from movies for awhile. Things like that."

and this

"Adventure games "as we know it" are dead. What does that mean? Does that mean "text" adventure games with text input; story, puzzles, no art, no animation, no music, no sound, no spoken dialog? Does that mean "picture book" adventure games with more advanced text input; story, puzzles, no animation, no music, no sound, no spoken dialog? Does that mean "2D worlds with cut screen shots" with icon bar input; story, puzzles, limited animation, limited music, limited sound, no spoken dialog? Does that mean "2D worlds with cut screen shots and limited short 'cartoons' or 'movies' with icon bar input; story, puzzles, better animation, better music, better sound, limited spoken dialog? Does that mean "2D worlds with lots more cut screen shots and more short 'cartoons/movies' with 'point and click' input; better story, easier puzzles, great animation, great music, great sound, lots of spoken dialog? Do you see a trend here in all of this?"

So, maybe that "something new" could be casual games and the merging of two is just another step in "evolution".