View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #52
DaveyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Hey, Davey is back! Good to read you again.
Thanks Fien

Quote:
Did you happen to drop in at the right moment or have you been lurking all this time?
Bit of both . I drop by on fairly regular occasions, but not so often, nor with enough time to post anything myself...unless there's a really good reason . Did spot the info from you & a couple of other re "The Last Express" download a week or so ago, so thanks for that! I'll let oyu know what I think of it when I have time to play it - but that won't be for a time yet. We've just started on the German version of "Edna Bricht Aus"...

Quote:
But I'm sure we'll also find things to disagree on, just like last time.
Oh, no doubt

Quote:
Mart:

Oh no, please no back stories in the manual for me. They can be fun, but not in a game like TLE. Gradually getting to know the characters and their relations is an important part of the immersive experience.
For now, though, guess we're still agreeing . I want to form my own opinion about characters, not have a manual tell me what to think. For me, like with a good book, subplots & getting to know other characters (not just centreing on the main character or the "action" are very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
I agree, but that's one of the examples I mentioned I believe (splitting it up, doing it gradually). It's simply bad design in my - subjective - eyes, a dialogue right after the game has started that takes around 15 MINUTES or so (!!). I know it's not a big deal and that some don't mind at all, and KasiaD pointed out that the name of the game is the LONGEST journey afterall :-). But I am always interested how designers solve these kind of problems (dealing with/using exposition scenes). And I must admit I stopped playing some games that were enormously "talkative."
As you say though, it's a subjective thing. For some of us, it's not that we "don't mind" a lot of dialogue early on, we like it! Personally a book (and similarly game, or film, or TV production) that can successfully use a lot of dialogue to draw me into the story/characters/world is, for me, a positive . Of course that word "successfully" is very important - you're totally right that it falls flat if you've no interest in the dialogue whatsoever!