View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #41
DaveyB

I though I'd also try & join this walkthrough as Longest Journey remains one of my absolute favourites. First played it back when it first came out in UK (guess that was 2000 according to the box). Then replayed it after Dreamfall cam out - so guess that was 4-5 years ago. So now seems like a good time to go through for a 3rd time! Only the Gabriel Knight series manage to compete with Longest Journey for me (yep, depth & detail of story are the most important elements of an adventure for me) & even they can't manage the overall quality of the voice acting - is there a single badly-acted character in the whole game? Only Dreamfall is up with Longest Journey on this aspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
How on earth do you manage to do that in only 2 hours?? Seriously. This is my second playthrough and it took me much longer. Impossible to skip dialogues once you started them and it takes ages to run across bridges, through parks, etcetera.
Agreed. Maybe even more importantly, even if it is possible to skip dialogue, why on earth would you choose to do it?!? The whole strength of the game is in the depth of the story together with the immersive nature of the Worlds created & (as I've mentioned) the voice acting. Those who do this, do you also skip dialogue in films & books? Guess everyone's different, but if you don't want lots of dialogue, don't play Longest Journey!

Have to admit, constantly running through the park did grate when I originally played it Now I know more or less what I'm doing, it makes things a lot easier

Quote:
Much to my surprise, I found it touching to be back in Venice again, long before the events of Dreamfall (which I played twice last year) and meeting a young April, Charlie, and Emma again.
Think we're going to be agreeing a lot Fien . Only thinkg was I wasn't surprised - I get "nostalgic" when I reread a really good book I haven't read in a long time, or film. And the couple of best AG's certainly belong at least in as high a category...and for involvement with characters, it's hard to top Longest Journey.

Quote:
Lots of stuff, details I'd forgotten all about, like the "mystery door". For me, it's still a game with a great story, and a couple of terrible puzzles.
Pretty good summary (again!), but considering its size, hard to avoid a couple of poor puzzles. Overall I'd rate them pretty to very good, but it's not the most important aspect of the game. Other thing I continue to find is how beautiful the game is. Sure, with improvements to technology, there are games with better "graphics" but the art direction for the locations is hard to top. I'm waiting for the UK release of Grey Matter, but am hoping that'll be the case with the locations in that too - I can live with poor character animation, but I do like well-designed locations.

One other thing: It does surprise me the number of people on this forum who haven't played TLJ - would have thought it was one of the first adventure players would play??