View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #50
ZeframCochrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
I guess people expected rainbows in a war torn desert environment.
Meteorologically speaking, the appearance of rainbows is not influenced by socio-political events such as war or anthropic population density.

The choice of desaturated colours in videogames is a long-debated one, and is only partly due to artistic choices! There are significant technical limitations in contemporary light rendering techniques.
This article specifically mentions Gears of War after the technical preamble, and implies that the choice of color palette in the game was "guided" by such limitations.
TvTropes also has something to say on the matter, and also provides an interesting visual example.
Apparently reality is brown!

Anyway, besides my silly quip about rainbows, I do realize that one couldn't expect a game set in a demolished city to feature bright pastel clours (and tropers themselves seem to agree with us). My point is simply that there are also technical limitations behind the issue, and that artistical choices may be strongly influenced by them. Besides, no one forced Epic to set the game in a ruined city... it would make more sense to me that the choice of environment was influenced by technical issues, rather than the other way round.

Last edited by ZeframCochrane; 01-17-2011 at 01:13 AM.