View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 PM   #47
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obscurista View Post
I'd love to see the game with new graphics.. even lower-budget 2D ones. I didn't mind the 'camera' controls, per se (in fact, I had a lot of fun exploring 'weird' places with the camera); the world of GK3 was just.. ugly and depressing. And not 'depressing in a cool/horrific way,' just plain depressing.

Is it true they used the Quake 2 graphics engine, hence the sort of 'brown' look to everything? (I remember being depressed by Rennes-le-Chateau in particular.. it was so *brown*, and it was inhabited seemingly by a total of five[-ish] [gray] zombies who never walked around town, gathered in groups of two or more, etc. - just stayed in their appointed chairs in their appointed buildings.)

As weird as this may sound, I actually had to stop playing because the graphics rubbed me the wrong way to such a great extent. (And I'm usually one who will put up with any sort of graphics, no matter how 'bad'/dated/whatever, since I'm more of a story/characters/story-related-puzzles sort of gamer.. I also often like 'weird' graphics that others don't care for. )
No, I think they made their own engine. There's a great old article here from one of the head guys on the project:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...a_studios_.php