Thread: The Last Crown
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #33
cbman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag1 View Post
Exactly the same? I didn't feel the voice acting was that bad, but there were elements that could be improved imo. I think the recycling of dialogue "Is there any body there...", "Symbolic images or ancient graffiti?"..so many little sentences that repeated over and over kinda spoiled the atmosphere at times, and it was compounded by the fact you couldn't skip dialogue

No, not exactly the same... the characters should read different lines this time

Seriosuly though, I completely agree with what you say, but that's not a fault with the voice acting, just poor game design. Dialogue should always be skippable.

To be honest, I had no aesthetic / artistic problems with the game whatsoever; it absorbed me completely, one of the most aesthetically pleasing games I have ever played. My only problems were some of the design issues: the ones you mention above, the limited save game slots, some rubbish puzzles that were solved in less than a minute simply through trial and error. There was one puzzle that I 'solved' simply by pressing each button to see what it did, by chance doing it in an order that solved the puzzle! Ridiculous... and then there was that unsatisfactory ending.

Actually, one commonly criticized design issue is the sloooow speed the player character moves at... however double clicking the exits moves the character automatically to the next screen... but so many people seem unaware of this. How can that be? It seems like a good example of herd mentality regarding criticism to me: a lot of people hear it mentioned and quote it themselves verbatim, unaware that actually, there is a skip function. Makes you wonder how much attention a lot of reviewers (pro and amateur) actually pay to the games they review doesn't it?

I do believe that the usual criticism of the voice acting stems partly from this herd mentality too (I don't refer to you here AG1, i know it is entirely your own viewpoint; this is a more general point I am making). It really isnt that bad at all and certainly has far more character than the voice acting in most games. I mean, I like David Gasman but I really don't need every male character to sound like him. There is a certain hectoring tone to this particular criticism, where it gets presented as fact rather than opinion: "oh, well obviously they need to sort out the voice acting and the character animations and how slowly the character walks." That was why I was quite glib with my original response to AG1, though from your follow up post I know that you weren't just bandwagon jumping.

Personally, the voice acting was actually one of the things that really drew me into the game initially; it complemented the surreal atmosphere very well. It was distinctive and unsettling. Yes, I woudl be very happy with more of the same!