View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #42
Venkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
Wow...thanks for the analogy. I'm not trying to pick on Telltale here but there's something about their games that has felt fundamentally broken to me. They're probably the only studio who's work I want to enjoy, but simply can't...and this is exactly why. I could never quite describe it before but your analogy makes perfect sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
I don't enjoy Telltale's games for the same reason. In the other hand... GK3's engine gave me the sensation of immersion that I couldn't find in other adventures.
I actually just played Sam & Max S3E1 last night (for free with Playstation Plus, definitely worth a 3 month subscription). Parts of it actually are in full 3D, but only parts, and it's only when you switch to first-person mode. They generally keep the camera basically fixed either for "cinematic"/gameplay reasons or programming difficulties I guess.

The game was much better than I expected...I really like the Twilight Zone/Rod Serling presentation. My other big complaint about Telltale games though is the dialogue...there's too much of it and it sometimes gets boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
People can't seem to put their finger on what made GK3 awesome, but guess what? I do. It was because it gave you full control over the camera, allowing you to investigate, poke, prod the environment as if you were actually their, without limitations of bodily movement. So, naturally your brain wasn't limited to unusual movement.

It felt a lot like Tex Murphy's last three games.
That Tex Murphy interface is so clunky, but it works. I like how you're only in that mode for relatively small segments...wandering around huge environments like that would get tiresome (unless the controls were upgraded), and it sometimes does anyway. They did a really good job with those games with the combination of exploration, dialogue, FMV, etc. As I said above, dialogue often bothers me a lot, but it's fine in this case. If you think about it - when you ask somebody about a topic in the Tex games, their response is generally quite short even if they have good info for you. What annoys me is when the Telltale games have long responses and banter attempting to be funny every time you click a new option.