View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #40
merrymouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestaticon View Post
merrymouse: Did you replace only the "gfx" files with the retail cd version "gfx" files? I think there are 5 or 6 files. (gfx1, gfx2, etc). From what I've read, replacing any other files could result in errors.

About your retail game errors, did you check the starforce patch available for the game?

Back to talking about the download version:
I set compatibility mode to Windows 98 for EACH exe file within the game folder and now my game does not crash. The sound corruption is still there, but now the game client doesn't crash each time. I've confirmed this on both of my machines. Both are windows 7 64 bit, but one is a laptop with a nvidia card and a realtek onboard sound, the other is my desktop with an ATI card and a standalone xfi sound card. Previously, I had set only the main game shortcut on my desktop to XP compatibility mode. So this time I went to the game folder and right clicked each EXE file (not needed for the config file) and set each to windows 98. I did also enable admin.
Hi and thanks for your help. I don't want to highjack this thread but I really would like to play this game. Also what we discover may help someone in the same situation. I don't think I replaced the gfx files. All I did was right click the desktop icon from my boxed version clicked open file locations then I clicked on all the files that said application (vista does not say .exe) then I changed the compatibility mode to XP sevice pack 2 and I also tried changing to windows 98 then I clicked apply then ok and tried to play and got the same error from starforce.

Secondly, I was unaware there was a starforce patch for my game. Where would I find that and is it going to screw up my computer?

I uninstalled my downloaded version before I installed my boxed version so I have no idea if I can even get it back.

I have an HP Pavilion dv5
Windows Vista Home Premium
AMD Turion X2 dual core mobile RM70
3.00 GB
32 bit

Now I have no idea what any of that means as I am total computer bone-head. Im impressed with myself for even finding that info