View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
Ascovel
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
It seems easy to say story is most important, but think about this:
if you took your favorite point-and-click adventure, and turned it into a book, would you want to read it? I have the GK1 book, and its pretty terrible. And if you really think about the story in GK1, its predictable, straightforward and not especially great. And yet sins of the fathers is one of my all-time favorite adventure games. It takes the right blend of story, puzzles and atmosphere to make a game brilliant.
I certainly agree about "GK1 The Game" being wonderful and "GK1 The Book" being pretty terrible, but it has nothing to do with the quality of the story and writing in the game. The book has too many things and dialogs taken out straight from the game without taking in account it's a different storytelling medium. This includes silly, overcomplicated ways of solving problems and asking every character about every possible topic. Also, the narration is really bland, as well as there are unnecessary additions to the plot and character interactions (like a sentimental vision of Gabriel's dad in heaven talking to Gabriel in a dream).

I assume the book - in contrast to the game - was prepared in a rush.