View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 PM   #224
Hoipolloi

This thread is still worth philosophically digesting, although After a brisnap nailed it on page 1/post 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG View Post
So, as Intrepid magniloquently put , what happened?...AG stories today are DULL. Writing is bad, the stories are flat and the worlds are boring. I'd very much rather visit the european city overrun by a fascist alien rule, or a fantastical dystopian 'other world' with my slapstick sidekick Daxter.
Deserves rememberance for its colorful imagery.

No, EvoG, they haven't become more boring. It's just that adventures used to be, long ago , the hottest new kid on the block. It was the first graphic kind of game that could be run on computers (an image speaks louder than a thousand typos). As computers became more powerful, the gaming experience grew out of the static, gamer-driven environment.

I'm old enough that my first game was an adventure, but I don't think that's necessarily true anymore, despite a parents' best intentions. Maybe someone who loves adventures at an early age will appreciate them later, but they'll never regain the status they had when they were cutting edge. No use crying over that.

As to what it takes to make adventures cool again with the mainstream, I think it's a change of attitude. It's no enigma why adventures are now mainly produced in declining, powerless old Europe. Using your brains appears to have become a stigma in the US, at least if you believe some media analysts. Not that using your twitchy fingers doesn't give you a false sense of power elsewhere.